Sunday, September 9, 2018

Organic Romance: The Effect Social Media Has On Our Love Lives & How We Meet People


I usually get in my feelings about topics like this because 
A. it doesn't get far when I try talking to someone about it 
B. The world we live in today think the topics is corny and they laugh and just shut down

But, my friends (the few I have and actually find this topic quite interesting), actually had a lot to say about it...

So I ask "Does real love exist anymore?" Better yet... "does organic romance exist anymore?"
Some of my friends laughed hysterically before actually answering the question simply because the guys in our generation don't take that kind of thing seriously. One of my friends simply said "no". A family remember told me she "still has hope for things like that", but no one, not one female I asked, said "yes" or "of course" or even "duh" 

So now I'm all like "shit.. I gotta ask a guy"

I asked a very good friend of mine and although his view on things isn't like most the guys I know, I felt the need to ask him about this topic and in all, this was his statement: "We live in a time where everything is controlled by the way you look on social media. In order for girls to be in love now, it's like it all depends on how much money the guy has so that it looks good for social media or it looks good for the outsiders looking in. Nothing is really organic anymore. The way you meet people, conversations, it's all coming from the internet now. I would like to think that the rawness that used to come with meeting and connecting with people still exists, but it's very rare. There are probably a few girls out here who will still go for the guy who isn't well-known, the guy who is willing to spend $24.50 instead of $2450.00, or the guy who just wants to connect on a level that has nothing to do with anything materialistic, social media included. But this is just where we are I guess."

He went on to say other things which won't be discussed, but all in all (don't kill me), I 100% agree with him. I feel like there's something about being organic that scares people. I have about 3 cousins who have had boyfriends for 1-4 years now and when asking how they each met their significant other, they all answered "Instagram". Has it really gotten to this? we don't meet guys in the grocery anymore? The gym? A night out with the girls?

As I'm sitting here typing this, I'm actually thinking of a theory: we scroll through Instagram most of our day (I only keep using IG as a reference because it's the go-to app). What If, a girls see  guys, goes to their page, sees all the materialistic things, the people the guys hang around, the amount of likes and comments these guys have, and decides she wants to deal with him based off of those factors alone? My god. You know, as i read that back out loud, it didn't sound totally unbelievable.


So, I know y'all are just waiting to hear MY stand on all this. As I mentioned before, I do agree with my friend to an extent. When it comes to romance an the organic that is supposed to come with it, social media has completely washed it away. I myself am not one of the girls who looks at a guy for what he has or what he can do for me. I strongly believe that comes from me being comfortable within myself. If offered, sometimes, I won't accept anything from a guy (money, gifts, etc). The gesture is nice, but in all honesty, it's just not me. Me personally, guys who are extremely flashy, guys who feel the need to photograph EVERYTHING they spend money on, or guys who can't hold a conversation, are MAJOR turn offs for me... personally.

I feel like when you meet or know someone on social media, it makes it harder to converse about these topics, because of the circumstances in which you met them. If you meet someone in the real world, naturally it's easier to talk about the real world. If you meet someone at a networking event, you're more than likely to talk about business and stuff mostly. "That's just the world we live in".

Please feel free to leave comments and insights below.
xoxo
Tali Michelle




No comments:

Post a Comment